2 rashers bacon, bits
Rendered (bacon) fat
1 ½ cups homemade (chicken) bone broth
2 tsp tomato paste *(optional)
2 large eggs
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup fresh parsley/cilantro and green onions, chopped, garnish
Egg Drop Soup
With homemade Bone Broth, you can make many soups. I freeze a batch of broth to make all my soups and even gravies. This soup can be modified to taste. If you want a bit of “Asian” flavour add some Tamari sauce. You can make it more “Italian” with some Italian Spices and Tomato. It is easy to make, but probably one of the most nutritious recipes out there.
How to Prepare:
1. Cut bacon into bits and cook on medium-high heat in a skillet. Remove from heat.
2. Heat 1.5 cups of homemade chicken bone broth on medium high heat in a pot and bring to a boil.
3. Add the bacon bits, all the rendered fat and tomato paste (if using) to broth.
4. Turn the heat off, but keep pot on hot stove.
5. Beat the eggs in a separate container and pour into the steaming broth.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Stir together, cover pot, and let sit for a moment to cook the eggs.
8. Serve onto a soup bowl, and garnish with fresh parsley/cilantro and green onions.
9. Great with buttered seed crackers.