500 g cooked cod fish (remove bones)
300 g cauliflower
1/4 c Heavy cream (35%)
parsley, minced, qb
ground white pepper, qb
Cod (Fish) Cakes
Bring on the Portuguese jokes. Yes, Portuguese eat cod fish, LOTS OF IT. You can make these cakes with any white fish, salmon or a mixture. It will work. We could all use a bit more fish in our diet, ok? These are awesome on their own or with a nice dip. Mayo will do. Traditionally eaten as an app with some olives on the side.
I've modified the original recipe by basically using cauliflower instead of potato, and by frying in saturated fat (lard), or baking.
How to Prepare:
1. Process the cod in a food processor to form a paste.
2. In a large bowl, mix the cooked and drained cauliflower, the cream, the egg yolks and white pepper to form a dough.
3. Form the egg whites in peaks, and incorporate this into the egg yolk along with the minced parsley.
4. Check for salt.
5. Make the oval cakes with two spoons.
6. Fry in hot oil (I use lard) and let drain on paper towels. Traditionally people have used olive oil for frying cod cakes.
Serve on its own as an appetizer, with a dip, olives or with a meal.